Wednesday 9 April 2014

Building the Church - July 17, 2010

As mentioned in my previous post "Bingo!", there is a building project well underway here on the native reserve where I work.  For the last couple of years, a group mostly out of a large city about 3.5hrs away have been bringing the vast majority of workers, materials, and money in order to build this church here.  It is almost done, and it looks great.  There will be many opportunities for ministry for those who take advantage of this awesome facility.  Tricia and I had a chance to be a part of one of the first services last night inside the facility, and it was almost electric to be a part of something like this.
The church has already obtained a pastor to lead, and the facility will be able to house temporary missionary groups as they come in (places to sleep, showers, etc).  It really is quite exciting.
However, there is a pessimism within me that I'm wrestling with.  I wonder what will happen to the building when it is unoccupied.  I wonder what will happen when there is no pastor around.  I wonder how the attitudes of the people on the reserve will "all of a sudden" change because there's a new building here.  I wonder about the equipment that will be stored in the church (remember I"m a maintenance man at the school, and am constantly dealing with issues of theft and vandalism).
I also have larger questions.  I question how putting up a building and getting a pastor is somehow an answer to the spiritual and physical conditions that exist around here.  I question whether this group of Christians will become more inclusive or exclusive because of this buidling/pastor project.  Will this become another classic case of "don't just cross the barrier of going from non-Christian to Christian, but also cross the barrier of going from non-churched to a new church culture that is akin to the traditional church model"
And what about ownership?  Very few local people have put any "sweat equity" into this project.  The vast majority of ownership will like be felt amongst the work crew that lives 3.5hrs away.  Without the feeling of ownership, there is a chance that local people will take this great work for granted (like I did getting a free ride through bible college - although I am very grateful for my parents investment into me in such a way =).  The "handout" is fairly common in this community, and in my opinion it can promote apathy, rather than a strong sense of needing to be involved. 
But, let's be fair.  Perhaps I am just a naysayer.  Am I doing the work of the devil by raising these questions and being cautious about buying into the "project"?  I am not exactly the most "holy" person out there (the prayers of a righteous mom and dad seem to avail much more than a sometimes righteous son).  Am I missing the boat?  Should I get on this ride and do everything I can to help out the only Christian community witness that people know and understand in this community? 
What would you do?  What have you done in your own similar experiences within your Christian or non-Christian community? 
Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment