Thursday 28 August 2014

What is the truth?

My uncle sends me a devotional everyday, and today's struck me hard because I've visited with and know people (and sometimes churches) who follow this line of reasoning.  Going down this road is the definition of "being lost".  Please read, and feel free to respond too either on FB or here in the blog itself.
Thanks
Rob

 Psalm 119:2-3 (New Living Translation)
Joyful are those who obey his laws
    and search for him with all their hearts.
They do not compromise with evil,
    and they walk only in his paths.

2 Timothy 4:1-3 (New Living Translation)
I solemnly urge you in the presence of God and Christ Jesus, who will someday judge the living and the dead when he comes to set up his Kingdom: Preach the word of God. Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not. Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching.
For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to sound and wholesome teaching. They will follow their own desires and will look for teachers who will tell them whatever their itching ears want to hear.

Aug28 Psa119:2-3 2Tim4:1-3 In a culture where individualism runs rampant and the world revolves around “me”, there’s a very real temptation to start applying that thinking to our faith. All over the place we see and hear people who are hacking out parts of the Bible that they think are outdated, not relevant and uncomfortable. Or they’re writing off a pastor’s sermon because it has challenged their “me first” thinking and resulting life priorities. Or maybe they’ve simply come to the conclusion that their faith is indeed “their faith.” That if it feels good to them, it’s inherently comfortable and supports their chosen lifestyle, all is good.

Those kinds of thinking are well beyond dangerous. Akin to walking out on the very thin ice; oblivious to danger, ignoring the truth about the lack of safety because after all...”No problem I’m not worried because I’ve decided that the ice will support me.” Question. Just because I believe the ice is okay, does that mean I won’t fall through and drown? Ridiculous! And just as foolish is the notion that alignment with God where it suits me is fine and I’ll ignore the rest. Or better yet that God should really align His will with mine because I know better.

We will only find the path of abundant life, deep joy and that “peace that passes understanding” when we seek after God with all of our heart. Seeking and searching with the life goal of following Him obediently and in all of life. Is this against the proverbial flow? Absolutely but the benefits and rewards are beyond comprehension.
  
LISTENING FOR HIS VOICE: “God, if I have slipped into a pattern of “me first” thinking in my faith and how I live, please point that out to me.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment