Wednesday 6 August 2014

Biggie Fun Club!

So, I'm super excited about the opportunity I have now walked into at Big Island Lake!
For the last 5 years, I have had the privilege to work at Chief Napew Memorial School - mostly as a music teacher.  This last year, the government of Canada introduced legislation titled the First Nations in charge of First Nations education act.  In this proposed Act (which did not pass because Chief Shawn Atleo resigned and their was no agreement with First Nations leadership) it was going to be mandatory for all teachers to be provincially certified in order to teach in any First Nations school.  This would disqualify me as a teacher, so I pursued the possibility of going to school somewhere to get my Education degree.
This last year, the BILCN Board of Education graciously agreed to allow me to have time off from school to work toward this degree between April and July.  I then worked with my gracious parents and E.I. to obtain funding to go to school (please note, I have and will not receive any funding from Big Island Lake in regards to schooling).  This made the schooling option affordable and do-able.
So, I left in my camper and went to Brandon University to get started.  The only problem was, I still had rent to pay as my family continued to live at the band owned house at Beacon Hill.  So, an agreement was made that when I returned from school, I would spend the weeks left in the summer before school started investing in the community.
When I met with the leadership, we discussed a few options of what I could do (maintenance, etc).  I also could've given the band cash to pay for my rent.  However, when we came to the discussion of 'the youth', there was a heart on both my part and the leadership here at Big Island Lake that someone should spend some time working with the youth - so an agreement was made!
I think this agreement is beneficial to all parties involved, and I look forward to this partnership.  I am so thankful to BILCN Chief and Council, and BILCN Education in working with my family to achieve these mutually beneficial goals.  I am hopeful that I can return those blessings with an investment of my life into the young people here at Big Island Lake as well!  Thanks!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment