Sunday 4 May 2014

The Treasure Map

Here's a scene from the movie "National Treasure" put out by Disney a number of years back already:
Enjoy =)


The idea behind this scene is that on the back of the USA declaration of independence, there is a 'secret message' that will lead to a massive treasure that's been collected over the course of hundreds of years.  This is a treasure map - BUT - the only way to read the map is by wearing special glasses made by Benjamin Franklin...THEN the treasure can be found and they can live happily ever after, etc, etc.  It really is a fun movie to watch (Netflix has it right now).
I was thinking about this scene this morning as I was considering how I see the world, and how God sees the world.  Often, we see things so very differently.  If I'm honest with myself it is usually shortly after I've committed some type of sin that things seem to look differently.
Often when I sin, it is not obvious to everyone around me.  I generally seem to act the way I normally act, but I can tell that something is off just by the way I think about everything around me.  Sometimes emotions like Anger cloud my vision, or Bitterness has me dwelling on one grievance I have towards someone who has wronged me.
Over time these types of thoughts actually change what I perceive as normal, or correct, in my daily walk. It is funny how quickly we can (almost?) justify blatantly sinful acts when we fall into it, or a family member is consumed by it. The way I see the world often changes through this experience and my 'worldview' changes as a result.
The Apostle Paul touches on this idea when he writes his first letter to the church in the town of Corinth (modern day Turkey).  He says to them "At present we are men looking at puzzling reflections in a mirror. The time will come when we shall see reality whole and face to face! At present all I know is a little fraction of the truth, but the time will come when I shall know it as fully as God now knows me! (the Phillips translation...yeah, I've never heard of this version either, but it sounded the coolest lol)
The idea here is that because we are human and still tackle and wrestle Sin, we can never truly see God, or see the world exactly the way God sees it either.  In fact, if it wasn't for the revealing work of the Holy Spirit, we would never have any clue (or choose to have any clue) in understanding why God sees the world the way He does!
But thanks be to God we DO have the Holy Spirit to guide us (Benjamin Franklin's glasses) - and we DO have the Treasure Map to read (the Bible).  By using the Holy Spirit to filter our sin-stained vision, we can see the work of God and understand the Truth.
This revealing ability, I believe, is directly related to our "use of the special glasses".  There's really nothing to it, except by acting in faith to wear them.  Watch this next clip though, because I think it shows us something more as well:


If we spend some time honestly trying to figure out how God sees things (using the glasses, with knowledge), we can see MORE of how God works, and understand MORE of the truth.  The Bible will reveal more.  Our experiences in life will make more sense.  The desires of our flesh, will subside.  This is exciting news for all of us!  God is so awesome and powerful that there is always going to be more "clues" about the hidden treasure that is here right now, and awaits us as well for those who believe.
Unfortunately, we often just become content with using the glasses in the first video clip, and then let the distractions and stress of this world stop us from trying to seek more of the Truth.  Don't give up!  We can put those glasses on right now, and keep searching TODAY for the revealing Truth of our Creator =)

No comments:

Post a Comment